Friday, November 04, 2005

Pointless Stories

..."It tells it with the urgency and pointlessness that all men's stories have, because if something has happened to us, then it is important to us no matter how indifferent the world may be."

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051103/REVIEWS/51019007

As I was proctoring a test for business statistics, I began surfing the Internet and came across that quote. I must have ran it through my mind a dozen times or so as I stared out towards the faces of the twenty or thirty students in the class. I kept thinking:

"That’s how it is, isn’t it? Everyone has a story to tell, millions of us spouting out useless stories that no one will read. We are all just running through life shrieking our heads off, dying to tell someone, anyone, of our stories only to find that in the midst of our own shrieking there are thousands more beside us doing the same - drowning out our voices."

At that point I wanted to stand up and ask the class what they were doing, why they were taking the test. What drove them to this statistic course and what inside of them made them think that taking this statistic test would make them a better person? But that’s just my ideas and me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home